Technical Wiki

You can talk about anything related to LB Booster here, not covered in another category
JackKelly

Technical Wiki

Post by JackKelly »

I have cleaned up my article 'Debugging Techniques'. The automated conversion process left it highly fragmented -- many 'edit' sections. I hope to improve and expand on it as time allows in the near future.

Would it be possible to have a section in the wiki that members could use for a home page, for those that are interested.

Thanks,
Jack
Site Admin

Re: Technical Wiki

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:53 amWould it be possible to have a section in the wiki that members could use for a home page, for those that are interested.
Is that common at a wiki? For convenience (it's what the automated transfer process necessarily resulted in) the LBB wiki is still sharing the same space as the BBC BASIC wiki, even though there is no longer any need to. I amalgamated them at Wikispaces to avoid paying two subscriptions, but in principle they could be separated again, although they would need some careful teasing apart!

The new wiki and forum give us an opportunity for a spring-clean, but at the same time the low membership numbers and level of activity perhaps suggest that it wouldn't be an efficient use of my (or anybody else's) time and effort. I'd be interested in other people's views.

On a related point, the new forum software is highly configurable and there's a huge range of optional features, not least many different 'skins', some of which are free such as those here and some paid-for such as these. It's even possible to arrange that different members see different interfaces! I've set the forum up with pretty much everything in the default state, but if there's a desire for customisation it can probably be met.

Richard.
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

The LB folks provided for personal homepages on one of their wikis for the members, which I took advantage of -- much to their consternation. It wasn't ideal, but better than nothing in my opinion.

http://basic.wikispaces.com/JackKelly6
Site Admin

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:08 pm The LB folks provided for personal homepages on one of their wikis for the members, which I took advantage of -- much to their consternation.
So is your problem that you don't have a website of your own at which to host such a page? Does your ISP not give you a small amount of web space as part of your package (mine does)? I'm not convinced that a technical wiki is the right place for such a thing (a 'community wiki' is a different kettle of fish).

It will be interesting to see whether the LB folks preserve your page when they move that wiki, which must be happening fairly soon (Wikispaces are closing their paid-for wikis in September I think). If they do, is there any reason why you would not want to keep using it?

Richard.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Dumping 10mb files on a charitable host is poor etiquette even though it was supported. If you wish to have a web presence then there are a few free ones like Webs.com or similar that have ads.

Storage and bandwidth cost money, we have been shown that "free" is unsustainable in the long term, even with ads.

So I dont think you should be freeloading here, or anywhere for that matter. Get your own web presence if you have something to share.
Site Admin

Post by guest »

Rod wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:57 pm"free" is unsustainable in the long term
I agree, but 'bundled' is as good as 'free'. I pay nothing for the web space provided by my ISP, because it's part of my broadband package and there isn't an option of not having it.

Richard.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Bundled is good.
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

Richard, would you please delete this thread. I'm sorry I started it.
Site Admin

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:29 pm Richard, would you please delete this thread. I'm sorry I started it.
I think that would be a bad precedent to set, especially so early in the life of the forum. It would probably halve the total number of posts!

Richard.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Fresh start might be good, it is not a subject everyone is interested in.