Crypt-It

Screenshots, descriptions and links to applications compiled with LB Booster, to illustrate how it is being used
JackKelly

Crypt-It

Post by JackKelly »

Hello, LBB enthusiasts. Here's a fun little program for you all to take a look at and give a try. I've worked quite hard to make it easy and pleasant to use. It has many nifty features for simple, short-message encryption and decryption. I will appreciate any feedback. Send me a message. Post it in a reply on this thread (encrypted, of course), or send a PM, or an e-mail to 'jkinnor@yahoo.com'.

Download the zip file from my Dropbox cloud.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hs3smdr8vgnfv ... t.zip?dl=0
tsh73

Re: Crypt-It

Post by tsh73 »

Hello Jack
Really nice program
though you probably need to explain how to use scratchpad - I couldn't figure that out for a while.
Really small code for what it does.

I was able to dechipher sample code, starting for most common THREE letter word :)
(it was not so long ago when I tried "The Gold-Bug" ;) )
(had to Google for first verb - last two letters happened to be used only once, but Google helped with a phrase)
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

XDE NQW SYW ADOS NLWODAW IDGWQ DH NFF CZ SYW HDQEA.
tsh73

Post by tsh73 »

How to use scratch pad

Run the program. Enter (paste) the message to decode.
Press "Decrypt" button.
Second row of buttons will turn BOLD ("free" letters - they will fade one-by-one as you use them), under it source (cipher) text will be displayed.
Pick a letter from cipher text.
Let it be "X". Click button with "X" in top row. Button stays selected so you see what letter is active.
All occurrences of "X" in cipher text will be marked by "v" above. Now, click on a button in second row, say "T". Under cipher text, letters "T" get displayed (where "X" was in code). Button with "T" in bottom row will fade (got used).
If you press other letter in bottom row, all "X" in cipher text will be changed. If you press "Clear" button, all occurrences of active letter will be cleared, and bottom-row letter got BOLD again (free, not used).
Now continue with other letters in top row. As you do, more and more text will show under cipher text.

"Clear all" button resets all mapping between rows of buttons, so you can press Decrypt again and start anew.

--------------------------------------------
Today I wowed my teacher colleagues with this program. I really think interface is great.

As for your last message.

C'KW QWNG CS. DH IDEQIW C NA ZDS.
C ZDS WKWZ GWICBYWQWG CS - C MQESW HDIWG CS.
QEZ NFF BDOOCMFW PWX HQDA RWQD SD ZCZW ZCZW ZCZW,
ONKWG BFNCZSWUS CZ N HCFW NZG SYWZ TQWB HDQ SYW.
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

UICECE UIALZM UIANAV GZQEWC WCUCQL LCC
tsh73

Post by tsh73 »

Wow. You really puzzled me.
First, checking all numeric keys did not made a word. (I checked against UNIXDICT - literally not a word!)
I see there is actually not 1000 but 26! (factorial, 4.03291461 × 10^26) possible transpositions, so you may just scramble it by hand, not by code.
Ok then.
Next, I saw term of "pattern word":
pattern word (first letter transliterated as A, next distinct letter as B, and so on).
(from here http://wiki.puzzlers.org/dokuwiki/doku. ... ut:mcilroy)

And looking for pattern word for "UICECE", I got only three matches in UNIXDICT:
crisis
theses
phonon
Somehow, all of them doesn't seem to match.

Really line look suspicious for me - five word of six letters, then three letter.
And first three starts with same two letters.
Is it know riddle? Nursing rhyme?
Is it English at all?
%)
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

Sorry, Anatoly. I didn't think it would be so difficult. But I wanted to see if you could really get a job at Bletchley Park. It's just a simple sentence in English, but the words are run together, and sent in groups of six. This is the method used by the Germans in WWII, but their Enigma machines essentially used a different key code for each letter, as well as other encryption techniques. It took a lot more than brute force for the allies to break it, but they did!

The code for this message is 147.
tsh73

Post by tsh73 »

Ah. But that's just another problem.

So instead of looking for 6-letter words
I discard all spaces
and INSTR decoded variants with all words from dictionary (set for len()>3 to remove short jitter)
One with more words occurring likely wins.
(target line has 5 hits)

Indeed I saw the message. It would take forever to look for last 4 letters in any dictionary ;)

It took a while - longer then I writhe this ;)

EDIT
I suspected something wrong with 6-letter words. But examples I've seen used 5-DIGIT grouping... so idea never came to my mind.
Actually Wikipedia says that actual ENIGMA used 4-letter groups, like in here (linked from Wikipedia)
https://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/eni ... 030681.htm
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

Good job, Anatoly. But I'm curious about UNIXDICT. Is it a file or app that I can get ahold of and run under Windows? I have a 'Hangman' program that I would love to add dictionary lookups to. Any ideas?
tsh73

Post by tsh73 »

UNIXDICT and other wordlists:
wiki.puzzlers.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=solving:wordlists:about:start