Text Entry Cursor stops blinking

Discussions related to the Program Source Code Editor
JackKelly

Text Entry Cursor stops blinking

Post by JackKelly »

I know this is a Windows question, but I can't find any solution there.

The cursor in the IDE edit window (and many other text editing programs) stops blinking after a few seconds of inactivity. How can I make it NOT stop blinking, like in Microsoft Word. There it blinks continuously. Can the LBB IDE editor be made to blink continuously also? Or does anyone know any setup option in Windows that controls this feature?

Any help or ideas are appreciated...
Jack
JackKelly

Re: Text Entry Cursor stops blinking

Post by JackKelly »

Doesn't ANYONE have a solution or suggestion for this problem? I find the non-blinking text entry cursor to be annoying, frustrating, and contributing to many text entry errors. I can't be the only one with these difficulties.

Jack
Site Admin

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:52 am Doesn't ANYONE have a solution or suggestion for this problem?
Can you confirm that the same thing happens in Notepad? If it does, I'm afraid it has nothing to do with LBB and you will need to seek a solution elsewhere. If your concern is that it reduces the visibility of the caret, you can always make it thicker (bolder) in Windows Settings.
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

I know it's a Windows issue, and yes it happens in Notepad, and all other text entry programs except Microsoft Word. I can't find any answers in Windows Help -- that's why I turn to my friends in the community.

Jack
Site Admin

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:02 pmthat's why I turn to my friends in the community.
A Google search confirms that this issue has been reported by many people over the course of several years; it seems that Microsoft either can't or won't fix it. It's not even clear whether it's deliberate or a bug. You will probably have to live with it.

Incidentally it's annoying that Microsoft are inconsistent in their terminology. Throughout the technical documentation at MSDN the term cursor refers to the mouse pointer, and the term caret refers to the text entry point indication. But if you search Windows 10 Settings for 'caret' you will get no hits; to find settings for it (such as blink rate or thickness) you need to search for 'cursor'. Ugh.
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

Before I attempt to wage a battle with Microsoft, please answer me one question. Does your Windows 10 PC behave as I describe, on text entry programs, that is, such as LBB and Notepad?
Site Admin

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:13 amDoes your Windows 10 PC behave as I describe, on text entry programs, that is, such as LBB and Notepad?
We currently have (I think) four Windows 10 PCs here so I will need to do some testing to answer that question fully. I don't think the issue is necessarily limited to Windows 10 either.
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

Richard, I don't mean to sound impertinent but how difficult is it to turn on one of your Windows 10 PCs, fire up Notepad, and take a few seconds to watch what the cursor does?
Site Admin

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:47 amhow difficult is it to turn on one of your Windows 10 PCs
If a sample of one is sufficient, on my main (and fastest) Windows 10 desktop PC the caret flashes about 6 times and then stops. Clicking with the mouse restarts the blinking for a similar time. The interesting thing, though, is that I had never noticed this behavior until you mentioned it, so as far as I am concerned it is of little consequence.
tsh73

Post by tsh73 »

Just my 0.02$

Windows 10 Netbook (automatically updated), 32 bit
Win 1803 Home build 17134.648
Notepad, WordPad, LBB, JB - stops blinking after 5-6 blinks
Notepad++ and LibreOffice - does not stop blinking (or I am did not wait long enough)
How they do that?

Job computer
Win 10 Corporate 2016 Long Term Support
(actual naming is in Russian so I back-translate it)
64 bit
Win 1607 build 14393.2848
- looks like does not stop blinking
(but I checked via remote link. I should check tomorrow in person and see)
EDIT: yes indeed it does not stop blinking.
Last edited by tsh73 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.