Left Border of Editor Window

Discussions related to the Program Source Code Editor
JackKelly

Left Border of Editor Window

Post by JackKelly »

Richard, is it possible to make the left border of the editor window a bit wider, so the right-leaning cursor is easier to position for selecting all of a line with a single click?

Thanks,
Jack
Site Admin

Re: Left Border of Editor Window

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:07 am Richard, is it possible to make the left border of the editor window a bit wider, so the right-leaning cursor is easier to position for selecting all of a line with a single click?
I'm afraid I have no idea what "the right-leaning cursor" is, nor how to select all of a line with a single click. The only way I know of to select an entire line is by triple-clicking on it. Sounds like I need to be educated about some editing facility I've never encountered. :?
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

if you move the mouse pointer very slowly toward the left edge of the edit window, when it is over the narrow 'bevel' it changes to a right-pointing arrow. If you click the mouse in this position, it selects the whole line.
Site Admin

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:18 am if you move the mouse pointer very slowly toward the left edge of the edit window, when it is over the narrow 'bevel' it changes to a right-pointing arrow. If you click the mouse in this position, it selects the whole line.
I've never encountered that behavior and it's certainly nothing that I have coded or made happen, can you point to a reference online that describes it? If it's 'deliberate' I would expect to see the same thing happen in mainstream Microsoft text editors like Notepad and Wordpad, but I can find no evidence of that. If it's only ever active across the width of the 'bevel' then there's nothing I can do to make it wider, since that's part of the window's 'style', and from an 'accessibility' viewpoint it's too narrow to be useful (which is exactly what you are finding).

I would treat it as an accidental feature, or possibly something left over from the days when screen resolutions were much lower, and simply ignore it. To select an entire line either triple-click on it or position the caret at the beginning of the line and press Shift+End.
JackKelly

Post by JackKelly »

The standard Text Editor and Text Box controls don't have a 'bevel' by default. What type of control is the IDE editor window, that it does have a bevel? Do you have any options on the style attributes of the IDE editor window?
Site Admin

Post by guest »

JackKelly wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:48 pm The standard Text Editor and Text Box controls don't have a 'bevel' by default.
Isn't the presence of a 'bevel' principally a function of the window style, not what kind of control the window contains:

Code: Select all

nomainwin
	WindowHeight = 470

statictext #w.st1, "No Stylebits", 50, 20, 200, 32
	stylebits  #w.st2, _SS_CENTER or _WS_BORDER, 0, 0, 0
	statictext #w.st2, "Thin Line Border", 50, 65, 200, 32
	stylebits  #w.st3, _SS_CENTER or _WS_DLGFRAME, 0, 0, 0
	statictext #w.st3, "Raised Background", 50, 110, 200, 32
	stylebits  #w.st4, _SS_CENTER, 0, _WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, 0
	statictext #w.st4, "Recessed Background", 50, 155, 200, 32
	stylebits  #w.st5, _SS_CENTER, 0, _WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, 0
	statictext #w.st5, "Recessed Disabled", 50, 200, 200, 32
	stylebits  #w.st6, _SS_CENTER, 0, _WS_EX_STATICEDGE or _WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, 0
	statictext #w.st6, "Double Recessed Edge", 50, 245, 200, 32
	stylebits  #w.st7, _SS_CENTER, 0, _WS_EX_DLGMODALFRAME or _WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, 0
	statictext #w.st7, "Raised Frame", 50, 290, 200, 32
	stylebits  #w.st8, _SS_CENTER or _WS_THICKFRAME, 0, _WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, 0
	statictext #w.st8, "Thicker Raised Frame", 50, 335, 200, 36
	stylebits  #w.st9, _SS_CENTER or _WS_BORDER, 0, 0, 0
	statictext #w.st9, "Flat Disabled", 50, 386, 200, 32

open "Stylebits for Statictext" for window as #w
	#w "font Times_New_Roman 14 bold"
	#w.st5 "!disable"
	#w.st9 "!disable"
	#w "trapclose [quit]"
	wait

[quit]
	close #w
	end
Of course not all these styles are necessarily available because some of them have effects other than visual ones (for example a window with a THICKFRAME style can be resized by the user dragging a corner or edge, whilst if it doesn't have that style it can't be resized).
What type of control is the IDE editor window?
It's a RichEdit20W control.
Do you have any options on the style attributes of the IDE editor window?
The style value is currently set to 0xB08144.
net2014

Post by net2014 »

I've never seen this before, either so I checked the LBB IDE (I only have access to linux/wine) and sure enough I can select a whole line of code with one click of the mouse. However, the mouse pointer does have to be positioned in exactly the right spot at which a 'right diagonal pointing mouse arrow' appears. My normal mouse pointer is left diagonal pointing. A single click then selects the whole line. For me this does not occur with any editor other than the LBB IDE. Could be a very useful facility if the pointing did not have to be so exact. 8-)

Edit: Just found that shift+mouse click selects multiple lines.
Site Admin

Post by guest »

net2014 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:46 pmFor me this does not occur with any editor other than the LBB IDE.
It's evidently a peculiar feature of the Rich Edit control. It is mentioned at MSDN here: "the selection bar is an unmarked area to the left of each paragraph that when clicked, selects the line" (so it's not the bevel). Apparently it is not possible to disable it.