'include filename.bas

Discussions about the Liberty BASIC language, with particular reference to LB Booster
RNBW

'include filename.bas

Post by RNBW »

LBB allows the use of INCLUDE files with 'include filename.bas at the very end of the file. RTR's description of LBB includes a reference to a Wiki article about include files. Of course, Wiki no longer exists. Does anybody have a copy of this Wiki article that they could post a link to?
Site Admin

Re: 'include filename.bas

Post by guest »

RNBW wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:07 am LBB allows the use of INCLUDE files with 'include filename.bas at the very end of the file. RTR's description of LBB includes a reference to a Wiki article about include files. Of course, Wiki no longer exists. Does anybody have a copy of this Wiki article that they could post a link to?
Do you mean this one?
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

I think that covers the ground that there Wiki would have done.
Site Admin

Post by guest »

RNBW wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:42 pm I think that covers the ground that there Wiki would have done.
It is the Wiki: nothing was lost when Conforums and Wikispaces closed, the content was all safely moved to new homes.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

guest wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:52 pm
RNBW wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:42 pm I think that covers the ground that there Wiki would have done.
It is the Wiki: nothing was lost when Conforums and Wikispaces closed, the content was all safely moved to new homes.
The reason I referred to the Wiki was because there is a link to it on three LB Booster page, which is dead. I think that it would be useful to link it the page that you provided in your response to my post.
Site Admin

Post by guest »

RNBW wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:07 pm The reason I referred to the Wiki was because there is a link to it on three LB Booster page, which is dead.
I don't know where you're looking: the link to the WIki on the LBB page is not dead, it is very much alive! If you can find any broken links at the LBB website please let me know, but that isn't one of them.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

The difference seems to be where you tried to access the Wiki.

I accessed it from the link to the Manual, where clicking on 'include provides a description of its use and includes the following text
See this Wiki article for more information
, where Wiki is a link (unfortunately not reproduced here). Clicking on this link brings up the following
Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at bb4w.wikispaces.com.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:

Try again later.
Check your network connection.
If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to access the Web.
If you click on the LBB Wiki link near the top of the LBB Page, it does indeed take you to the the page you indicate. Perhaps the Manual could be updated.
Site Admin

Post by guest »

RNBW wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:09 pm I accessed it from the link to the Manual
The manual on the website is indeed out of date, but because it's far more likely that an LBB user will be using the built-in version (accessed from the Help menu), which of course I cannot change without a new release, it seems to me largely pointless to change the web version on its own.
Perhaps the Manual could be updated.
If I were ever to release a new version of LBB, giving me the opportunity to update the manual which is shipped with it, it's not just the link to the Wiki that would need to be corrected; the link to this forum would too! But since that's unlikely ever to happen (my cognitive decline, probably Alzheimer's Disease, makes it impractical) it probably won't arise.

Anyway, surely Liberty BASIC 5 is now better and faster than LBB in all respects? I'm banned from the LB forum of course so I can't - and have no inclination to - monitor releases there but by now it jolly well should be! And with LB5 having advantages like arbitrary precision integer arithmetic it's hard to see why anybody would choose to use LBB now.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

I hear what you say, but it is confusing if the Manual and the Programmer's Reference don't agree. Are you saying that we should ignore the manual and use the Programmer's Reference? I'd be quite happy with that, although my normal first step would be to go to the Manual.

LB 5! It's progressing, but it's a long way to go yet. Carl Gundell keeps saying things like that. There are many things that still require work-arounds. Much better to use LBB until it's sorted out. I keep having a peek, but I've no intention yet of moving to it. One thing it really needs is a help file or similar so you can see what new commands there are and how you use them. Nobody seems interested in helping out with this. It shouldn't be too difficult; there are already help files for LB4.5 and JustBasic. These could be amended. And no, I'm not offering my services.

I've never used 'include with LBB or LB. Maybe I should give it a try.

Frankly, LBB is so much better than LB, and LB users are missing out. But that's their problem. No doubt someone from LB will read this and ban me again. Just to be clear - I think LB is a good product and when LB5 eventually (whenever that is) comes out it will probably be worth while to switch. But not yet.

Rant over!!
Site Admin

Post by guest »

RNBW wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:02 pm Are you saying that we should ignore the manual and use the Programmer's Reference?
Not at all, and hopefully they don't contradict each other (if they do I'd like to know). All I'm saying is that the great majority of LBB users who want to consult the manual will do so by opening the local copy that comes with LBB itself, which you can do by pressing F1 or from the Help menu.

That's so much faster and more convenient than accessing the web version, and works even if you don't have an internet connection. It's better in other ways too, for example there's a built-in search, and the ability to print individual sections etc.

So although I could update the web manual there seems little point when I can't update the version that nearly everybody will be using. Indeed I wonder how you ever came to be looking in the web version of the manual instead of pressing F1 within LBB.