LB TKN file

Discussions relevant to the differences between LBB and LB4 which could affect code compatibility
zpq

LB TKN file

Post by zpq »

Hi
When I try to open a TKN file in LBB made with LB it ask for a USERNAME and PASSWORD

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks
Site Admin

Re: LB TKN file

Post by guest »

zpq wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:38 pm When I try to open a TKN file in LBB made with LB it ask for a USERNAME and PASSWORD
Yes, TKN files are protected so that only the original author can see their contents. If that was not the case, you could easily steal other people's programs! LBB will only open a TKN file if you know the LB username and password (which were supplied by Carl when it was registered).

If the TKN file was created using the trial version of LB4, LBB will not open it.
xxgeek

Post by xxgeek »

LBB doesn't seem to be able to open a tkn file created by LB Pro v4.5.1.

Getting this message when trying..
"User Name or Password is invalid for TKN file"

Not designed for Pro?
Site Admin

Post by guest »

xxgeek wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:35 pm Not designed for Pro?
Not specifically, no. I 've probably never had a TKN created by LB Pro to try. If the file format is different from regular LB4 it's likely not to work.

TKN files are notoriously insecure (that's why LBB can 'reverse engineer' them) so maybe one of the 'advantages' of LB Pro is that it has a more secure TKN format. But I have no idea and I very much doubt that Carl will provide the information!
xxgeek

Post by xxgeek »

Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason I would like to have it working is because over time I have lost, or due to bad code inadvertently deleted, some of my .bas files, but for some I still have the TKN. Having a Pro license does not give me rights to use the non - Pro version. I wish I knew all this before purchasing Pro. The added features of Pro could be written in Basic.

I guess I'll have to buy myself an X-Mas present.
Site Admin

Post by guest »

xxgeek wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:00 pm for some I still have the TKN.
If you have a (preferably small) TKN created by LB Pro, send it to me and I can take a closer look at why LBB says it cannot be 'decompiled'.
xxgeek

Post by xxgeek »

Thanks!

Small TKN file sent to info@rtrussell.co.uk

Good luck :)
Site Admin

Post by guest »

xxgeek wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:06 pm Good luck :)
As far as I can tell the only thing preventing a successful 'decompilation' was an incorrect User Name or Password having been entered (they are case-sensitive, and spaces are significant). Try again.